This iPET Network qualification regulated by Ofqual is courtesy of our partners at Pet Training Courses, and is not a BCCS course. We offer it as a third party provider and you will deal directly with PTC upon purchase.
With the rapid increase in dog ownership during the pandemic lockdown and dog owners reporting changes in their dogs’ behaviour during the pandemic, it has never been more important to ensure that owners are getting the foundations of puppy socialisation correct from the outset.
The iPET Network Level 2 Award in Principles of Puppy Socialisation is suitable for those with or without previous experience of dog socialisation and is aimed at Candidates who wish to gain the knowledge and understanding required to effectively socialise a puppy, from birth, into adolescence. The purpose of the qualification is to aid the development of well-adjusted, confident young adult dogs, equipped with the necessary life skills to integrate effectively into the household. This qualification is suited to dog owners wishing to learn more about their puppy, as well as individuals working with young puppies in a professional capacity.
Completion of this qualification provides an excellent platform for progression into dog ownership, utilising the knowledge in the workplace (e.g. as a dog trainer, walker, breeder or dog sitter) and/or completing further study in the subject area.
Candidates who complete this qualification will be able to:
- Understand the normal developmental stages of puppies, from birth to adolescence;
- Recognise the importance of early socialisation and the impact this can have in later life;
- Determine the appropriate timing of socialisation to maximise impact;
- Recognise the key areas in which puppies must be socialised and how;
- Understand the importance of human and canine interaction for developing puppies;
- Identify techniques for habituating puppies to new experiences in a safe, calm and controlled manner;
- Recognise the requirements for successful management of puppy socials and classes.
The iPET Network Level 2 Award in Principles of Puppy Socialisation consists of one mandatory unit:
- Unit 211: Principles of Puppy Socialisation (1 credit)